The UK Data Archive has published a set of web pages covering data management and data sharing at http://www.data-archive.ac.uk/sharing/
. There is also a downloadable PDF brochure Managing and Sharing Data: a best practice guide for researchers
Top-level table of contents:
- Sharing data - why and how?
- Consent, confidentiality and ethics
- Data documentation and metadata
- Data formats and software
- Data storage, back-up, and security
The section on consent, confidentiality and ethics appears to be particularly useful.
Of course the sections covering legislation are specific to the UK.