View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
vocabs in support of GLAM sector 
ANDS Staff

Probably should have posted my email from the lod-lam group...to this board..

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 10 May 2011 08:25
Subject: Re: [LOD-LAM] RDF vocabularies for library/archives/museum data
To: lod-lam@googlegroups.com

Hi Misty,

There is some work being done in Australia to support the aggregation of research data - and - this includes the provision of data connection services that are amenable to linked data initiatives in the LAM sector.

The National Library of Australia are underway with developing the "Party Infrastructure" drawing from their name and organisation authority file. This work is being undertaken in partnership with the Australian National Data Service (ANDS). There are several other and similar service infrastructure projects in process:

* Australian Bureau of Statistics (for the Australian and New Zealand Standard Research Codes - ANZSRC) -- Research Fields
* The Office of Spatial Data Management -- Location
* Australian Research Council and National Health and Medical Research Council -- Research Activity
* Scholarly Societies -- Terminologies

It's the last in particular that may be worth keeping an eye on. There is an ANDS funded project called the Museum Metadata Exchange that has some plans in place I gather to make the Powerhouse Museum Object Name Thesaurus available as a data service. Luke Dearnley (Powerhouse Museum) will be coming along to the LOD-LAM summit. So hopefully we might get to hear more about what plans the Powerhouse has in place to extend what's been done.

Good wishes, Ingrid

On 10 May 2011 06:08, Misty De Meo <misty.de.meo@museumforhumanrights.ca> wrote:

Hi all,

Seeing some of the linked open data projects popping up in LAM organizations (like the LOCAH Archives Hub project today – great work, guys!), I was wondering about RDF vocabularies for library/archives/museum datasets. Is there anything that's been standardized at this point? I saw that the LOCAH project seems to be drawn from some existing vocabularies, but also had to create some new terms.

Misty

Misty De Meo
Digital Collections Technician | Technicienne des collections numériques
Canadian Museum for Human Rights | Musée canadien des droits de la personne
E-mail / Courriel: misty.de.meo@humanrightsmuseum.ca
Telephone: 204.289.2155
269 rue Main Street
Winnipeg, MB
R3C 1B3

Tue May 10, 2011 9:44 am
ANDS Staff

Richard Light's comment in response is interesting... they're looking at how to standardise recording events..

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 10 May 2011 08:19
Subject: Re: [LOD-LAM] RDF vocabularies for library/archives/museum data
To: lod-lam@googlegroups.com

In message <C9EDB406.22D82%misty.de.meo@humanrightsmuseum.ca>, Misty De Meo <misty.de.meo@museumforhumanrights.ca> writes

Seeing some of the linked open data projects popping up in LAM
organizations (like the LOCAH Archives Hub project today – great work,
guys!), I was wondering about RDF vocabularies for
library/archives/museum datasets. Is there anything that's been
standardized at this point? I saw that the LOCAH project seems to be
drawn from some existing vocabularies, but also had to create some new
terms.

Not to my knowledge, but I am keen for the CIDOC Documentation Standards Working Group [1] to produce some design patterns based on the CIDOC CRM [2]. One obvious pattern would model an "event" in a standardised way - this would be of relevance to all three communities and indeed the general history community. We're meeting in early September [3], and I hope to have something concrete to report after that.

Richard

[1] http://cidoc.icom.museum/wg_docstand%28 ... 8E1%29.xml
[2] http://www.cidoc-crm.org/
[3] http://www.brukenthalmuseum.eu/cidoc/uk/index.html
--
Richard Light

Tue May 10, 2011 9:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]