View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Non-technical guide to the new ANDS systems 
ANDS Staff

Key messages
On September 21 ANDS releases a new look Research Data Australia to enhance visibility and discovery of research data collections, and a new system to facilitate easier publication of research data records to Research Data Australia.

This is a non-technical description of this publication workflow for the information of organisations that wish to publish to Research Data Australia.

The ‘ORCA Assessment Workflow – Technical Guide’ document provides further information, supported by screenshots: http://ands.org.au/resource/techguide-r ... rkflow.pdf

If you have any issues following the release of the new system, please contact your ANDS liaison officer or services@ands.org.au. We are here to help you.

Topics addressed in this post:
• Background
• How do I get access to the new system?
• I have records in the Sandbox. What do I need to do?
• How do I manually create and edit records in the new system?
• How do I harvest records to the new system?
• The Quality Assessment Process
• I think my records are ready in ANDS’ new system. How do I get them published in Research Data Australia?

Background
Prior to this release, ANDS had a system whereby draft records were developed in or harvested to Sandbox. The records were assessed, edited and approved there, before they were published into Research Data Australia. This system has now changed.

ANDS will now use a single environment, with a workflow to move records from draft status to publication in Research Data Australia. The interface is different from the old Sandbox interface, and the publication process is different. It is no longer necessary to take approved records out of the Sandbox, then host them elsewhere for harvesting to Research Data Australia. The new system also facilitates a streamlined quality assessment process for records.

How do I get access to the new system?
You will need to have Australian Access Federation (AAF) credentials before you can use the new system.

Current Sandbox Data Source Administrators may not have these credentials, as Sandbox is accessed using credentials issued by ANDS, and based on an email address.

This page on the AAF website lists institutions holding AAF subscriptions: http://www.aaf.edu.au/subscribe/subscribers/

If your institution holds an AAF subscription you will be able to log into the new ANDS new system with your institutional credentials. If you believe your institution is a member of the AAF you can test your login by following the instructions on how to log into the ANDS production environment in the ANDS Services FAQ: http://ands.org.au/guides/ands-faq.html

Users whose institutions are not members of the AAF will need to apply for an ARCS identity from https://idp.arcs.org.au/idp_reg

If you already have login credentials for the ANDS production system, they will still work for the new system.

In addition to login credentials, you will also need to have a Data Source set up for your use in the new system. If you don’t already have one you will need to complete some ANDS paperwork to set this up. Speak with your ANDS liaison officer or email services@ands.org.au about these requirements.

I have records in the Sandbox. What do I need to do?
You will need to work with your ANDS liaison officer to organise migration of your Sandbox records to the new system.

Your ANDS liaison officer will need to collect some information from you and pass it on to the ANDS technical team. No records will be migrated until after the new system’s release, and no records will be migrated without your approval. Through your liaison officer, you will have complete control over the migration of your records.

The Sandbox will continue to exist as a legacy system following the release of the new system, but we would prefer that you migrate your records to the new system as soon as possible. We intend to decommission the Sandbox in November 2011. Once data has been migrated from the Sandbox it will be removed, and you should manage your records via the new system.

Data that is currently in Sandbox will not be ‘Published’ and viewable in Research Data Australia immediately after it is migrated, but will be either ‘Draft’ or ‘Submitted for Assessment’ depending on their Sandbox status of the data at the time of migration. See ‘Record statuses’ and ‘The Quality Assessment Process’ below for more information on what these statuses mean.

How do I manually create and edit records in the new system?
This is similar to the old system, with a few small changes to both the process and the Add Records screens for manual creation of records.

Save Draft tab
Three new options have been added to the Save Draft tab. They apply if your records are required to be assessed by ANDS prior to publication:
• Leave the record as Draft and return to Manage My Records
• Leave the record as Draft but flag the record as being ready for assessment
• Submit the record for assessment.

Record statuses
Some record statuses on the Manage My Records screen have changed and new ones added. Record statuses and an explanation of each of the statuses are listed below:
• Draft – the record is still being worked on
• Submitted for Assessment – the record has been submitted for assessment
• Assessment in Progress – the record is currently being assessed by the ANDS quality assessors
• More Work Required – the ANDS quality assessors have determined that more work is required on the record before it can be published to Research Data Australia
• Approved – the record has been approved by ANDS, but the record is not visible in Research Data Australia
• Published – the record has been published and is visible in Research Data Australia
• Deleted – the previously approved or published record has been deleted (but can be restored via the history tool).

See ‘How do I harvest records to the new system?’ below for information on what determines if your records are required to be assessed by ANDS prior to publication.

To allow users to view unpublished records, a feature has been added to the Add Record screens to allow users to load records in ‘Read Only’ mode. ‘Read Only’ mode allows users to view the errors and warnings within a record while also viewing the final report on the Save Draft tab without actually affecting the record.

A link that allows users to preview saved unpublished records in Research Data Australia has also been added to the bottom of the Save Draft tab in the Add Record screens. The link is only available after saving ‘Draft’ records and is always available in Read Only mode.

These changes are best understood in the context of the new system, but you can also read the ‘ORCA Assessment Workflow – Technical Guide’ or speak with your ANDS liaison officer for more information: http://ands.org.au/resource/techguide-r ... rkflow.pdf

How do I harvest records to the new system?
The Data Source screen that you have used until now to manage harvests of your records to ANDS systems has a new layout in the new system. You will be able to trigger and manage harvests in the same manner as you have until now with the addition of a new ‘Manually Publish Records’ option.

In some situations data providers may be required to have their records assessed and approved by ANDS but do not want to have them published immediately to Research Data Australia. For these users a ‘Manually Publish Records’ flag has been set up in all data sources. Having the flag checked (On) will prevent records automatically moving from ‘Approved’ to ‘Published’ after being approved by a Metadata Assessor. Users will need to use the Manage My Records screen to move these records to ‘Published’. The flag will not be set by default.

The Manually Publish Records flag will also be useful for approved providers (not required to have their records assessed by ANDS) who wish to test their harvest and view the records. By checking the flag (On) the provider’s harvested records will be held at a status of ‘Approved’ and will not be visible in Research Data Australia. The provider then has the option to either delete the records, remove the flag and re-harvest, or publish the records manually via the Manage My Records screen.

There are also some changes to the way harvested records are assessed and approved for publication. See below for more information.

The Quality Assessment Process
The new system facilitates a new approach to quality assessment of records.

The first change is the Quality Assessment Required flag. To control which data sources are required to publish their records through the Quality Assessment workflow a ‘Quality Assessment Required’ flag has been created in all Data Source Accounts. The flag is set by default for new accounts and can only be managed by ANDS staff. Having the flag checked (On) for a Data Source will force all manually created, edited and harvested records through the Quality Assessment workflow. Once ANDS has approved the quality of the RIF-CS records being crated by that Data Source, the flag can be cleared, allowing any future records to be automatically approved.

I think my records are ready in ANDS’ new system. How do I get them published in Research Data Australia?
ANDS is reviewing its internal processes around assessment of records, and this will be implemented over coming weeks. The information below is a broad overview, and you can contact your ANDS client liaison for more information.

One of the major changes in Release 6.1 is the implementation of a Quality Assessment Workflow. The workflow allows ANDS to incorporate quality assessment and approval within the record publishing process (both manual and harvest). The workflow is managed via the enhanced Manage My Records screen.

Data Quality Check
First, run the Data Quality Check over your draft records and make any required changes.

Records assessment report
Then, to begin the assessment process, you will need to submit a records assessment report. This report asks you to report the results of the Data Quality Check.

You can find the ‘Manual RIF-CS records’ and ‘RIF-CS Records from an automated feed’ reports on the ANDS website: http://www.ands.org.au/partner/forms.html

Speak to your ANDS client liaison officer about which report is relevant and how to submit it.

Selecting records for assessment
You indicate which records you want assessed by changing their status to ‘Submitted for Assessment’ on the Manage My Records screen.

Assessment process
The ANDS metadata assessor will assess your records, you will receive the report back, and your ANDS liaison officer will put you in touch with the metadata assessor. You will then work through the changes required until agreement is reached that the records are ready for publication. You will be able to track this process and move it along on the Manage My Records screen, using the record statuses documented above.

Publishing records
The next step depends on how you set the ‘Manually Publish Records’ flag in the data source account in the new system. If your data source is set to Manual Publication, you initiate the workflow to publish your records by changing the status of your records to Records Published.

If your data source is not set to manual publication your records are published as soon as they are approved.

Bypassing assessment
As noted above, under the heading Quality Assessment Process, once your project has established a track record of successful publication of quality records, any new records you create will bypass the assessment process. This means your records will go straight from Draft to Approved or Published.

Harvested records
If you are harvesting records to the system, your records will be shown on the Manage my Records screen as Harvest under feed type. Harvested records are also subject to the quality assessment process and users will now be able to track their progress via the Manage My Records screen. Harvested records are automatically submitted for assessment or, if assessment is not required, automatically approved.

For more detailed information on the assessment and approval process see ‘ORCA Assessment Workflow – Technical Guide’ and/or speak with your ANDS liaison officer: http://ands.org.au/resource/techguide-r ... rkflow.pdf

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]